Saturday, March 2, 2013

Basic Sewing Skills Revisited

I've spent most of this week revisiting the basics. Apparently I have forgotten a few things.


I started off by making this envelope clutch for the See Kate Sew February Clutch along. The fabric I had originally planned to use won't be here until Monday, so I made this one out of scrap as a practice run, but it actually turned out to be a pretty nice evening bag. The button is not exactly centered so I'll have to remember mark it on the next one I make. There is also some issues with the lining. 


The lesson I learned is that I have gotten just a little bit cocky with my basic sewing skills. When my other fabric arrives  I will have to take my time and not skip any steps. Still it is a nice bag. Now all I have to do is get my husband to take me out on a date so I can actually use it.

Also this week my daughter, age 9 finished her second sewing project. She made some pillows for her dolls using a tutorial from With Glittering Eyes. We are going to make the whole bed eventually. 

I had a little trouble explaining the slip stitch to her, but in the end she figured it out. We will have two more pillows to practice on for this project.

So what basic sewing skills do you use the most? How about the least?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer, Your clutch looks wonderful! I too, like you have followed blogs and have decided I want to share and thank the women who have shared so much talent. I joined the clutch a long, and have joined a few swaps.. My blog is read by my daughter and husband and 1 friend..LOL but its a start! Congrats on your blog and have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...