Monday, May 6, 2013

Make It or Buy It - Bonpoint Tank Top and Shorts

For the second week of Make it or buy it, I've found another expensive children's boutique item.  I'm starting to see a trend here. I have no idea how I ended up with such expensive tastes, especially since I've never actually purchased any expensive children's clothing.

I couldn't help but fall in love with this adorable little summer outfit from Bonpoint. Sadly, the price is likely to bring tears to your eyes, and for play clothes! $165 for the shirt alone. No way.

So I studied the images on the stores site for a little while and I think I have come up with the simplest way to recreate the look. I haven't actually sewn it yet, because I can barely keep up with my current to do list, but when I do I will post a full tutorial.

In the meantime if you would like to do it yourself here is what I recommend.

Tank Top:
Fabric and Notions

Kaufman Cambridge Cotton Lawn Red - $7.95

Embroidery Floss in Shades of Green $2.00

Elastic Thread $3.00

3 matching buttons

Pattern - Not needed

  • The top is made of two rectangles, each twice the width of a good fitting non stretch shirt and an inch or two longer for hemming. 
  • The top area is shirred with elastic thread and then embroidered in a simple zig zag pattern using three different shades of green. It can be done by machine or by hand. 
  • Once that is done sew up the side seams and make two tubes of fabric for the the spaghetti straps. 
  • After the shiring is secured by the embroidery or top stitching sew two straight lines down the shirred portion of the back for additional securing then cut right between them.
  • Hem the edges and attach buttons to onside and make button holes on the other. Another option is hook and eyes.


Shorts

I plan to make the shorts out of cutoff jeans, and use the the left over denim to make the flaps for faux welt pockets.

Skill Level: Advanced Beginner

Most of this is incredibly easy but working with elastic thread may seem a bit scary to a beginner until they try it. If the embroidery makes you nervous just top stitch in a zig zag pattern with a thick thread. Or use regular thread and go over it a few times.

The Verdict
Let me think about this. Pay over $165 + international shipping or pay $10 and spend a few hours on my favorite hobby, sewing. It's a tough call but I think I'll go with Make It.

Please let me know if you make this look so that I can link to it, and I promise to post a full tutorial once I catch up on my other sewing projects.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...