Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mackinac Island Lounge Wear



I don't think I've ever mentioned that my favorite flower is a lilac, with lilies coming in as a close second, so it was easy to choose a dream Spring Break destination to inspire my week 2 Project Run and Play look. Mackinac Island in Michigan is known for being covered from end to end with lilacs. Every spring they host an annual lilac festival to celebrate the coming of 
spring, and I would love to be able to attend one year.


Keeping with the spirit of  serenity and relaxation that comes to mind when I'm daydreaming about the island, I chose to make lounge wear inspired by the color of lilacs.



The pants were cut out of a thrifted skirt with the perfect flowey drape and silky hand for the project. I used the front and back pants pieces from the Peek  A Boo Patterns Convertible Pants pattern and eliminated all of the bells and whistles except for the back pocket flaps. I added my own pockets to the back as well and finished the pants with french seams.

While I'm daydreaming about vacations I also dream that this girl will one day smile in a picture!

For the top, I used the beachy boatneck pattern once again, sewing it one size larger this time and adding in the basket weave (tutorial here). The texture of the knit fabric feels like running your finger along a rose petal. I wish I had saved some to make myself a matching set.

I'm glad that I chose to sew lounge wear because it filled a void in Ashley's wardrobe. It's been raining all week so she had no trouble getting into the spirit of lounging as you can see from the picture. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...